Wednesday, January 6, 2010

WE ARE MANY

of the many men whom i am, whom we are,
i cannot settle on a single one.
they are lost to me under the cover of clothing
they have departed for another city.

when everything seems to be set
to show me off as a man of intelligence,
the fool i keep concealed on my person
takes over my talk and occupies my mouth.

on other occasions, i am dozing in the midst
of people of some distinction,
and when i summon my courageous self,
a coward completely unknown to me
swaddles my poor skeleton
in a thousand tiny reservations.

when a stately home bursts into flames,
instead of the fireman i summon,
an arsonist bursts on the scene,
and he is i. there is nothing i can do.
what must i do to distinguish myself?
how can i put myself together?

all the books i read
lionize dazzling hero figures,
brimming with self-assurance.
i die with envy of them;
and, in films where bullets fly on the wind,
i am left in envy of the cowboys,
left admiring even the horses.

but when i call upon my DASHING BEING,
out comes the same OLD LAZY SELF,
and so i never know just WHO I AM,
nor how many i am, nor WHO WE WILL BE BEING.
i would like to be able to touch a bell
and call up my real self, the truly me,
because if i really need my proper self,
i must not allow myself to disappear.

while i am writing, i am far away;
and when i come back, i have already left.
i should like to see if the same thing happens
to other people as it does to me,
to see if as many people are as i am,
and if they seem the same way to themselves.
when this problem has been thoroughly explored,
i am going to school myself so well in things
that, when i try to explain my problems,
i shall speak, not of self, but of geography.

-pablo neruda (and ada)

so long, america.

No comments:

Post a Comment